ALS News Today Forums Forums ALS Progress ALS News MSCs from ALS Patients Can Modulate Immune Responses

• MSCs from ALS Patients Can Modulate Immune Responses

Posted by ALS News Today Moderator on May 6, 2019 at 8:56 am

MSCs from patients with ALS have potential to regulate immune response in ways that are therapeutic and similar to those of healthy people, a study shows. Read more about this study here.

What do you think of this study and its findings?

Dagmar replied 5 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Dagmar

May 6, 2019 at 12:41 pm

In reading the article and from what I could understand (I wish these reports were written in layman’s language!) – – this study proved that the Mesenchymal stem cellsĀ (MSCs) of ALS patients behaved no differently than those of healthy people. Stem cells of both groups were able to control inflammation.

Since ALS symptom progression has been identified to be caused by ongoing inflammation (T-cells)… then it still remains a mystery of how we can stimulate our stem cells to help reduce inflammation.

And still no cure. Just a slowing of progression.

• Jean-Pierre Le Rouzic

May 7, 2019 at 3:09 am

Dabmar, I think there is a misunderstanding about this article.

This study is not about making a new treatment but about understanding what are the roadblocks ahead in therapies like Nurown.

In therapies (like Nurown) that use MSCs, they introduce them intrathetically behind the CNS to infuse neurotrophic factors locally (chemicals that helps cells to live).

It is important that those MSCs live well in their new location and are fully working to produce neutrophic factors locally, hence the study about the influence of local conditions such as cytokines.

• Dagmar

May 7, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Your explanation helped me to better understand this article. Thank you.

Perhaps you are our go-to interpreter of these types of studies. Again, I wish the author of the article would have taken the time to explain (similar to what you provided) what this was about in layman’s terms, rather than repeating sentences from the original abstract.