ALS News Today Forums Forums Flash Briefings Scientists Use Patient Cells and Chip Technology to Re-Create Blood Brain Barrier Defects

• Scientists Use Patient Cells and Chip Technology to Re-Create Blood Brain Barrier Defects

Posted by ALS News Today Moderator on August 19, 2019 at 10:46 am

ALS News Today’s Director of Multichannel Content, Michael Morale, discusses how scientists use patient cells and chip technology to re-create blood brain barrier defects.

What are your thoughts about this news?

Amanda replied 4 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Dagmar

August 19, 2019 at 4:37 pm

After years and years of only having animal models (ALS mice, white flies and zebra fish) to use a models for possible ALS therapies and medications, researchers now have a new method at their disposal. Patient cells combined with chip technology can better mimic each patient’s unique genetic makeup.

Each ALS patient exhibits ALS in so many different ways, I believe that pursuing personalized treatments will result in better outcomes for us all.  Now, we need to push this concept into actual use… to meet needs of people living with ALS today.

• Amanda

August 19, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Dagmar, I think you nailed it! Medical treatment needs to be tailored to each pALS and their specific situation. I hope that the different organizations and agencies rally around this kind of research to help move it forward.

• Amanda

August 19, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Dagmar, I think you nailed it! Medical treatment needs to be tailored to each pALS and their specific situation. I hope that the different organizations and agencies rally around this kind of research to help move it forward.