ALS News Today Forums Forums ALS Progress Research Topics Silencing Genes to stop ALS progression or onset

• Silencing Genes to stop ALS progression or onset

Posted by Amanda on July 29, 2020 at 8:02 pm

Several recent articles discuss research related to gene silencing or RNA. It seems to me that this is heading in the right direction to treating genetically linked ALS cases. Have you been involved in any of this research? Do you think this is the right direction for ALS research? What are your thoughts based off the articles? Have you found other information from other resources you can share?

Chad Smith replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • David Crellin

September 5, 2020 at 1:19 pm

I have C9ALS, first signs March 2019, diagnosis March 2020. Having researched family tree I now note my mother, her sister and son, all had/have either ALS or FTD. I’m looking further back for indications.
    My two sons are arranging genetic testing for themselves. My sister’s adult children now have to choose.
    I am trying to get on the phase 1 trial of BIIB078/ CnRx in the hope that this will silence the multiple repeats of G4C2 in the C9orf72 gene.
    So, I am very much in favour of genetic therapies to silence genes.
    I am in the privileged position of having friends in senior positions in genetic therapy pharmas, so keep up to date with developments, I fear more so than my consultant.

• Chad Smith

September 8, 2020 at 3:45 pm

Silencing genes sounds good to me for genetic ALS.  What kind of test does one need to get to find out if he or she has a genetic linked ALS???   Is the testing done at the local ALS clinics???

• Amanda

September 8, 2020 at 9:42 pm

Chad,

You can have genetic testing done with a blood test. If you are interested in participating in any of the research studies that is usually the first step in the process.

Amanda

• Chad Smith

September 8, 2020 at 10:25 pm

Ok thanks Amanda.  I need to get that done.