ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS What changes to your diet have you made?

• Dagmar

March 28, 2024 at 12:25 pm

At my first ALS clinic visit (14 yrs ago), I at the time was a vegetarian. I followed that diet for about 11 years prior to my ALS diagnosis… but at that first visit, my doctor told me I need to consume waaay more protein. I felt I had reached my limit of protein-containing soy and legumes – – blech! So, I switched to adding animal protein to my diet. I gained a few pounds and felt good. The dietician told me to “eat whatever I wanted” – – and don’t worry about calories. But I chose to remain a “healthy” eater- – a mix of veges, protein, carbs, and “fun foods.” It’s been good so far.

Lately, I read about the reports on high-glycemic intake helping to slow down symptom progression. (https://alsnewstoday.com/columns/sorting-out-sometimes-confusing-advice-als-diet/) So, I’m enjoying my cookies and dough-nuts a bit more now 😉

• Melody

March 28, 2024 at 8:29 pm

I made the choice to begin eating meat again. It’s mostly chicken, turkey, fish and beef. I try to be mindful.

• mtu1976

April 2, 2024 at 4:21 pm

I have been on a low carb diet for many years. No junk food or stuff out boxes. Since my diagnosis added some carbs but my blood sugar is up some. I’m not going to go crazy eating sugar which is bad for most other diseases. I will add some fruit etc. I will continue to eat meat and eggs. I am so far maintaining my weight.