ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Armed Forces and ALS

• Nick Sloan

August 9, 2020 at 2:48 pm

I’m a ALS newby and have not had any conversations with my neurologist about the correlation to service. I’m curious what data the VA has collected if it shows anything relevant based on MOS, duty station, etc.

• Dagmar

August 9, 2020 at 4:46 pm

Hello Nick – – have you seen this recent news article?

Slower Progression Seen in US Veterans Living Longer Than Disease Norm

• Tom

October 19, 2020 at 7:40 pm

I was active duty for 10 years with the Army. Basic trading at Ft McClellan,AL which was also home to Chemical School and has a history of chemical contaminants from companies improperly disposing.  For last 20 years I’ve worked as an Army civilian and have deployed to Kuwait and Afghanistan.  My doctors at VA have not shared any theories.  Very interest in Article Dagmar shared above about slow progression in Vets as I seem to be progressing very slowly.

• Tom

October 19, 2020 at 7:46 pm

I was active duty for 10 years with the Army. Basic training at Ft McClellan,AL which was also home to Chemical School and has a history of chemical contaminants from companies improperly disposing.  For last 20 years I’ve worked as an Army civilian and have deployed to Kuwait and Afghanistan.  My doctors at VA have not shared any theories.  Very interest in Article Dagmar shared above about slow progression in Vets as I seem to be progressing very slowly.

• Nick Sloan

October 22, 2020 at 5:16 pm

Since being diagnosed on September 8th I am pleased to say that I received 100% disability rating on September 23. Things have been moving really fast. I had my first VA appointment yesterday to get referred to the neurologist and ultimately be seen by their ALS clinic.

We are in early discussions about doing a documentary on veterans and ALS. I would love to connect with any of you vets that would be interested in being interviewed.

• Amanda

October 22, 2020 at 10:20 pm

@Nick,

I’m so glad that you were able to get 100% disability so quickly.  Please let us know how the VA works and what the process is like. I’m sure there are other Veteran’s that would like to know.

Also, I would love to know how the documentary is going as it progresses and when it is released.

And, of course, Thank You for your service!!

Amanda

• Dagmar

October 25, 2020 at 7:49 pm

Indeed, great news Nick!

• Kathy stitz

November 16, 2020 at 12:11 pm

I am not a veteran but a dependent of a veteran and was disappointed that there is nothing available from the VA for dependents who have ALS.