ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Chelation Therapy?

• Chelation Therapy?

Posted by Monica on September 29, 2023 at 1:44 pm

Any thoughts on pursuing this treatment? I have learned from the book “Eric is Winning” and from McFinn Lovere (Everything ALS) who experienced an ALS reversal, that each of these individuals received this therapy at one point during their illness.

Peter replied 5 months, 2 weeks ago 7 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Dagmar

October 2, 2023 at 1:06 pm

Even though these two individuals tried or used chelation therapy, there is no evidence that it had any effect on their ALS. In fact, chelation therapy has no effect on anything – – except giving you a warm footbath and putting money in the pocket of the alternative therapy practitioner offering it.

• Danny

October 3, 2023 at 3:26 pm

That is a pretty broad statement Dagmar. If you have a serious medical need to remove metals from your body chelation may be necessary. Chelation as an ALS treatment in the absence of a medical need for chelation is probably not a good idea. Heavy metals are a legitimate problem for some PALS. You probably won’t find a neurologist who will test or treat you for it but neurologists can’t (or won’t) do anything for you anyway except prescribe the 3 Rs. If you think you have a heavy metal issue there is a provocation protocol & test to find out. Treating for metals may not be a cure but some have had luck slowing things down.

• Dagmar

October 3, 2023 at 5:09 pm

Danny, I was responding to Monica’s question – – which was asked in relation to ALS.

You are correct, in that exposure to heavy metals (like lead, mercury, iron, and arsenic) and having them build up in the body is a serious health condition. Doctors use specific medicines to remove them.

But there is no connection with ALS. The treatment I was referring to is the one many pALS find at an Alternative Therapy & Wellness Fair. This is a foot bath where clear water slowly turns brown and the practitioner claims that “metals” have been pulled from the body. This is a sham treatment and has no benefits for the ALS patient.

• Connie

October 3, 2023 at 9:59 pm

I would definitely try chelation if available. Yes, heavy metals are problems with many diseases. My father took chelation for heart problems. It didn’t hurt him, but the hospital overdosed him , that’s what killed him. Research it, many informative books on that.

• Alexi

October 10, 2023 at 11:13 pm

Connie, your father died from an overdose of chelation medication, as opposed to an overdose of the heart meds?

• Connie

October 13, 2023 at 12:56 am

No my father had no adverse reaction to the chelation. A medical Dr. here in CA was licensed for that. Yes, you do need additional supplements when doing that, which my father took when doing the chelation directed by the Dr. The reason by Father died in one of the best heart hospitals in our area, is because he was over dosed by a certain drug. He had a mitral heart valve replacement 9 mo before, but had a fib . He went into the hospital, they shocked him, he was up shaving that day ready to come home. The nurse came in, gave him 2 pills, shortly afterwards, he told my mother, that he felt he had been poisoned. When I arrived, the nurse behind me, looking at the paperwork at the door, said to the other nurse, you gave him too much. My dad died that night. When my family approached the Dr. shortly afterwards, he said , we all make mistakes.

Take charge of your health, do your research. If you want to know if you have heavy metals , do a hair test. It tells much. Look for a local source or online. We have done it over 45 years, off and on.

• Peter

October 4, 2023 at 7:12 am

After my diagnosis 2019, I tested my blood for heavy metals and found lead, palladium, thallium, mercury and arsenic levels to be too high. I subsequently did various detoxifications including 5 x blood washing with inuspheresis. The blood values have subsequently decreased and this spring I did a urine test, which compares the heavy metal content in the basic urine and in the DMSA urine. Interestingly, the levels worsened between the spring measurement and the measurement this August, even though I have implemented elimination measures and take many supportive supplements. I have discussed with my doctor that a chelation infusion may be the next therapy to get the heavy metals out of the body. Since ALS can have 60% genetic and 40% environmental influence in triggering it, it is certainly good to get the heavy metals out of the system. Has anyone done tests before and after?

• Alexi

October 10, 2023 at 11:16 pm

Gosh, Peter, that’s crazy! What a shock that your levels increased! How baffling! I do hope chelation can be effective. Was there anything in your life that made you vulnerable to metal exposures? I wonder how much toxic metal the average person has in their bodies.

• Dagmar

October 6, 2023 at 4:40 pm

Peter, I understand your support of chelation therapy, since you were one of the few who needed it medically. However, this screen or treatment is not recommended for most ALS patients. Unless you know you have had exposure to farm chemicals, lead, mercury, iron, or arsenic – – most doctors won’t recommend it.

I do question your statement: “…Since ALS can have 60% genetic and 40% environmental influence in triggering it…” Currently, 10% of ALS is genetic, 90% is sporadic. Although environmental exposure is a risk factor for ALS, it is not 40%. …smoking happens to be a high risk factor. More here: https://alsnewstoday.com/causes-of-als/#Environmental_and_lifestyle_factors

• Peter

October 11, 2023 at 10:29 am

Dear Dagmar,

My post is based on the article in Nature. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41573-022-00612-2#Fig1 about the research summary (Spring 2023).
      Thank you for the overview of the risk factors for ALS that I am aware of. Related to my person, I find some points to which I have been exposed during my life; I smoked moderately until age 42 -15 years ago, had some electric shocks, was a figure skater for 10 years and hit my head a few times, had a car accident and and…. otherwise I was head of a trading company for over 30 years and mostly in the office or driving to customers – as not a big exposure and exposure to toxic substances. To what extent stress had an effect I can not judge – as a self-employed person with his own company is certainly more susceptible to stress. I think that we have to look at the causes of ALS in a more causal way. At the moment we know about the possible ALS genes that can be a trigger or a risk for ALS. In genetic research, as far as I am informed, one is not yet so far that one can capture all gene activities. What one captures today are the genes that show peaks in this corridor – peaks. What is in the general gene noise corridor level and what interactions with toxic substances, this is still largely unexplored. I recommend that the parameters of ALS patients be further recorded and evaluated. I know from myself that I carried a risk with a genrepeat expansion of the ATXN2 gene, which has now broken out. So far I have not found any information why ALS has broken out. Could this be factors that have accumulated during my lifetime, e.g. toxic exposure, could an electric shock have affected the reading mechanism, or the interaction of different genes to maintain a function? As a Swiss, I am participating in the ALS TDI study. My blood values and vital signs are not included because I do not live in the US. I am not aware of any research project in Switzerland or Europe where a whole-genome sequencing (WGS) analysis, blood values, vital signs are compared with history. My vital history was collected as part of a study in Switzerland. For the blood values (burdens) with the vital data the orthodox medicine is not interested. Here I suggest a worldwide recording of as many ALS patients as possible with as much data as possible, so that one could also pursue new ideas. If someone has more info on this topic, thank you very much. Interesting is also the contribution in the research blog; “Why is there almost no research on neurotoxins as a possible cause?,” thanks everybody and sunny wishes to everyone from Switzerland, Peter

• Amanda

October 12, 2023 at 9:23 am

In the United States chelation therapy is only FDA-approved to treat metal poisoning. There just isn’t enough evidence to support its use for any other condition. And, as research shows, it can be dangerous if it’s used for an unapproved reason. There are theories that toxins may cause numerous diseases such as Autism Spectrum Disorder, Alzheimer’s, and on and on. As of now, there is no scientific evidence to support these suspicions. If you are going to use chelation therapy be careful. There can be serious side effects and it can deplete nutrients in your body. Talk to your doctor and make sure you are using it the way it was intended.

We all know that there is still a lot of unknowns about ALS. We also know that some people are willing to take risks with alternative therapies and others are not. How each of us choose to address our condition and symptoms is a very personal decision. There are not absolutes in my opinion. There are no rights or wrongs. Some want to stay alive as long as possible, while others focus more on pure quality of life. And of course there are pALS that focus on balancing both.

Personally, I rely heavily on medical research and my medical team who specializes in ALS, and genetic ALS research. I do believe that eating and living a healthy lifestyle can be a big influence on how we feel and possibly how we progress.

Before trying anything, do your research, ask questions (This conversation is great!), talk to your doctors and loved ones, and be sure not to be pulled in by fraudulent claims and scams. There are evil people out there that will take advantage of people’s fear and desires.

Amanda

• Peter

November 17, 2023 at 6:40 am

Dear all, I got the feedback from the study sponsor, that Chalation Therapy will not be possible within the study protocole as the therapy is not approved for ALS. I will step back from the idea making a Chelatherapy. Regards, Peter