• Dagmar

September 13, 2022 at 12:42 pm

Even though I know my doctor and the clinic team won’t judge me for wearing laid-back, casual clothes, I can’t let go of wanting to dress up just a little.

I’ve come to rely on a wellness strategy called “showing up.” It involves a combination of taking care of my appearance no matter how deep a mental funk I happen to be in, and not wanting to be seen as someone who’s relinquished their identity to ALS. I want to be perceived as a person first and a patient second.

Do you feel this way too?

I wrote more about my clothing choices for medical appointments in this column: “Why What I Wear to My ALS Appointments Helps Me Feel Better” https://alsnewstoday.com/columns/what-i-wear-als-appointments-helps-feel-better-patient-clothing/

• Jerry Fabrizio

September 13, 2022 at 4:08 pm

I wear clothes that will help them do their jobs.  Also Christian tee shirts

• Maggie Broeren

September 13, 2022 at 4:11 pm

Hi All,

I like to dress up a little to show up like I want to be remembered  I never think I am being judged by anyone from the ALS clinic

Since I wear my mask-respirator 100% of the time I do get funny looks sometimes. If it is a stare from a young child I often ask the parent if I can talk to their child. I simply explain that it is hard for me to breathe and that there is air coming through my mask. It feels like an educational opportunity to teach in the moment. It may also reduce any fears which the child may have

Maggie B

• Mary Kate Smith

September 13, 2022 at 5:18 pm

I like to dress nicely also. Since I don’t go out alot this is a place where I can get dress up. Not like a night on the town but nice.

• Sandra Mikush

September 14, 2022 at 8:11 am

Like others, I like to look a bit nicer for clinic appointments. Of course, I could never out-dress Dr. Bedlack! (I tried to attach a photo but can’t figure out how to do it.)

• Pete Caluori

September 15, 2022 at 2:33 pm

I wear what makes me comfortable!

• Lisa Bonahoom

September 16, 2022 at 9:58 am

I wear an irreverent ALS T-shirt. The clinic and other patients appreciate and love it. If I can bring a smile to the faces of that group my job is done. No one is offended.