• Diana Belland

April 27, 2019 at 9:28 am

Hello, Everyone,

I am planning to purchase an all terrain rollator soon for an upcoming trip and would love to hear from other members who may be using all terrain rollators for use in parks, nature centers, beaches, etc.

I found one online that looks good:  the Volaris All Terrain Patrol Rollator/Walker.   Here is a Youtube video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4RMbdvUPlY

If you have experience with this rollator or something similar, I would appreciate hearing your comments.

Thank you!

• Jean-Pierre Le Rouzic

April 27, 2019 at 10:47 am
  • Bev

April 27, 2019 at 10:48 am

I dont know rollator that can work on sand. I got the upwalker and it goes on rough terrain. Although I’ve only used it and carpet and tile. It makes me walk upright instead of a stooped position. I also purchased a portable power wheelchair that folds up and can be put in the trunk of a car.  It weighs 50 lbs. Go to wheelchair.com to view it if interested and google upwalker.

• John Russell

April 28, 2019 at 1:03 pm

I’m impressed with the Volaris.

1. The only thing I would say is that it uses conventional looking wheels which limits the terrain U can handle.
    2. I have found several “eurowalkers” that use bicycle wheels up to 12″ in diameter. The wheels required air and could be softened for sand. These walkers are expensive and heavy so U pay a big price.
  • Diana Belland

July 7, 2019 at 10:30 am

I thought I’d post a followup comment about my experience using a Volaris rollator.  I purchased the Discovery, after a phone consultation with a company representative.   She was extremely helpful in terms of recommending a specific rollator model for my height/weight and needs.   At first, after receiving the rollator, I felt that it might be too “short” for me, but I have since learned how to walk with it without leaning forward.  I took it with me on an Alaskan cruise recently and used it onboard to get around.   At home, I now keep it in the garage as my “outside” rollator.  I take it to my YMCA and have learned to efficiently slide it up to the recumbent bike and the leg machines that I use, park it, put the brakes on, and move to a seated position on the bike or machine.   It takes up less space than my Drive/Nitro rollator and the wheels move very smoothly over any kind of paved surface or flooring.   It’s extremely stable due, I think, to the larger, “fatter” wheels.   Recently, I used it on a short trail at my local nature center and was pleased with how well it rolled over both paved and unpaved areas.

The Volaris is definitely not cheap but the good news is that I received a grant from my local ALS Association which covered nearly the entire cost!   I still love my Drive/Nitro and use it in the house.   It has a wider seat and back rest which I really like for taking rest breaks while doing chores in the kitchen.

I’m now intrigued by the convertible rollator/wheelchairs I saw several people using while we were on our Alaska trip.  They look great for travel because the rollator mode allows you to walk for exercise and to cover short distances, and the wheelchair option allows you to “rest”and cover longer distances.

• Diana Belland

August 28, 2019 at 11:42 am

Hello,

I would like to buy a back brush to use in the shower. I’m still able to shower without assistance using a shower chair, but I have difficulty reaching my entire back.      I have found several kinds of curved and straight brushes/shower aids on Amazon and Performance Health and other sites.  But nearly every brush on the Amazon site seems to have mixed reviews about quality.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has found a good device to aid in washing the back in the shower.

Thank you!