• Perceptions of ALS

Posted by Amanda on August 3, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Many people have a strong reaction when they are told that a close friend has ALS. Often, friends don’t know how to react or respond. Sometimes, people opt for distance until they can decide how they will interact with their friend.  When you told close friends/relatives that you (or your loved one) had ALS how did they respond? Did you find ways to make them comfortable? Have you been able to tell your friends and loved ones what you need from them, and what you don’t need?

Amanda replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ann-thomson

August 4, 2020 at 3:40 pm

My husband has ALS. When I told my family and our friends, everyone was shocked but I thank God that they are all so supportive.

• suzanne-akerman

August 5, 2020 at 5:01 pm

I told family and friends a month after diagnosis. Notified far off friends and family at Facebook. All are supportive, call me instead of me calling them. All ask what they can do for me. I have never had such a great outpouring of support!

• Amanda

August 24, 2020 at 9:23 pm

Having supportive friends and family can make all the difference.  If you need additional support seek out support groups.  You never know, you might be the one helping another person!