ALS News Today Forums Forums Caregivers and Family ​ Removing phlegm-mucus from throat

• Removing phlegm-mucus from throat

Posted by tim-charles on March 10, 2023 at 3:11 pm

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to best extract throat phlegm/mucus for my pALS brother. He is in late stage of the illness and can no longer swallow (fed through a feeding tube). This is his biggest challenge for now, per his spouse/caregiver. I found a device online called AirPhysio which gets great reviews but none of those references using it for a pALS. Has anyone used this device or suggest other devices, or any natural approach? Thanks and God Bless!

kim-russell replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 9 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • lorraine-larkin

March 14, 2023 at 2:39 pm
    • Mucinex helps my husband, you can put it through feeding tube,  and cough assist.

Good luck!

• mary-kate-smith

March 15, 2023 at 11:47 am

I use a suction machine that works well. I am also on a feeding tube.  Contact Norco or whoever is on your area and they can get you set up.  Really works great. Am eating right now. Will get the the model latet today.

• deborah-maria-woolston

March 15, 2023 at 1:39 pm

When my mom got to that stage, we used a portable electric suction machine to suck mucous out of her mouth & throat. Since she was also using the Trilogy non-invasive ventilator at that point, we strapped the suction machine to the rolling cart for the Trilogy. That way both could be with her at all times.

Is brother working with a medical supply company? They should be able to provide a suction machine & possible even on a rental basis. Alternately the ALS Association has loan lockers that may have one.

Here’s a link to a company that sells suction machines, so you can see what they look like: https://dmesupplyusa.com/respiratory/suction/suction-machines.html

Sending Love to  you, your brother & his wife. This is a humbling, heartbreaking, and, sometimes, strangely beautiful journey to be on.

• maggie-broeren

March 15, 2023 at 1:40 pm

We use a Frieda, found at a common drugstore . We attach the Frieda to a suction machine.It may seem gross but the relief is super beneficial . You can put the Frieda up your nostril very gently and turn on the suction machine. We do both nostrils and it takes less than five minutes. Our hospice nurse and doctor are quite impressed with this method.

• kim-russell

February 9, 2024 at 11:47 am

What type of suction machine do you use?

• deb

March 16, 2023 at 8:36 pm

I’m not sure whether this is helpful at late stage ALS, but I smear Vicks above my top lip and down the front of my neck when going to bed and the vapours help in preventing/relieving the “clagging” of the phlegm and associated coughing.  Sometimes I use Vicks during the day too.  I also changed from a medium pillow to a firm pillow which gives a slightly elevated position rather than using an uncomfortable wedge pillow. Best wishes.

• gail-a

March 20, 2023 at 10:55 pm

My husband takes Glycopyrrolate prescribed by his neurologist at the clinic we attend. He also has taken Guiafenesin (plain Mucinex or Robitussin) for excess mucus as necessary. He uses a VOCSN machine which provides the following functions: ventilation(BiPap), oxygen. Cough assist, Suction, and Nebulizer. This is a great machine, invented by a guy whose father had ALS and needed multiple machines to do different functions. We were lucky to get this early in his disease when it became available I believe in 2019. We have used all of the functions except Oxygen which isn’t typically used for ALS patients. It’s nice having everything you need all in one box. Hope this might help someone.

Gail Albert

• IBREM

June 21, 2023 at 8:07 am

We are not at this stage yet but would like to know if any one uses a breast pump with different attachments…this what they sent us and not sure if this is correct or not…I have message into the doctors and nurses…just curious…