• Andy Straw

January 23, 2020 at 2:51 pm

I can still speak reasonably well, but my hands and arms are very weak. I use Amazon Alexa technology quite a bit – this webpage describes my smart home set up: https://sites.google.com/view/alsinfo/equipment-and-tech/my-smart-home

I also use speech to text software extensively: https://sites.google.com/view/alsinfo/equipment-and-tech/mouse-and-keyboard-alternatives?authuser=0#h.p_gbSR_HS7Ji3f

I was able to get grants from my local ALS Association to pay for some of this.

• Kathryn F. Kennedy

January 23, 2020 at 3:18 pm

Extremely helpful and informative!  Thank you soooooo very much!

• Dagmar

February 3, 2020 at 2:49 pm

Andy and Kathryn – – would either of you find useful a new phone app that uses your head motions to control your phone? I have been contacted by the app’s developer who is looking for feedback from pALS.

Anyone else interested in this?

• Kathryn F. Kennedy

February 4, 2020 at 10:35 am

Absolutely!  Please count me in!!!!!! And thank you so much!

• Dagmar

February 4, 2020 at 11:02 am

Kathryn – – I’ve sent you the link in a private message 🙂

• Emma

February 5, 2020 at 9:05 am

I live in a two story home.  As my ALS progressed in my legs, I found it more and more difficult to go up and down the stairs.  I had a chairlift company come to my home and give me a quote on a chairlift.  The quote was $12K and my insurance would not cover it.  They said it is not a necessity but would cover a hospital bed downstairs (my showers are upstairs).  I called my Doctor for some advice and they contacted the ALS Association.  They do have loaner chairlifts from time to time that people donate but did not have any at the time I called and said to check back.  I waited as long as I could (my husband pushing me up the stairs) and then I had to get it.  It’s a shame this is not considered a necessity by insurance.