Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Amanda
      Keymaster

The world of technology is always improving and this benefits people with ALS and other illnesses. Although assistive technology is improving, many pALS continue to go with unmet needs. This website offers some information to help pALS and caregivers learn more about assistive technology and pALS. https://www.nm.org/healthbeat/medical-advances/technology-maximizes-quality-of-life-ALS

What type of assistive technology are you using? Did insurance help with the expense? Are there organizations like the ALS Association that have loaner programs in your area?

Andy Straw
      Participant

I can still speak reasonably well, but my hands and arms are very weak. I use Amazon Alexa technology quite a bit – this webpage describes my smart home set up: https://sites.google.com/view/alsinfo/equipment-and-tech/my-smart-home

I also use speech to text software extensively: https://sites.google.com/view/alsinfo/equipment-and-tech/mouse-and-keyboard-alternatives?authuser=0#h.p_gbSR_HS7Ji3f

I was able to get grants from my local ALS Association to pay for some of this.

Kathryn F. Kennedy
      Participant

Extremely helpful and informative!  Thank you soooooo very much!

Dagmar Munn
      Keymaster

Andy and Kathryn – – would either of you find useful a new phone app that uses your head motions to control your phone? I have been contacted by the app’s developer who is looking for feedback from pALS.

Anyone else interested in this?

Kathryn F. Kennedy
      Participant

Absolutely!  Please count me in!!!!!! And thank you so much!

Dagmar Munn
      Keymaster

Kathryn – – I’ve sent you the link in a private message 🙂

Emma
      Participant

I live in a two story home.  As my ALS progressed in my legs, I found it more and more difficult to go up and down the stairs.  I had a chairlift company come to my home and give me a quote on a chairlift.  The quote was $12K and my insurance would not cover it.  They said it is not a necessity but would cover a hospital bed downstairs (my showers are upstairs).  I called my Doctor for some advice and they contacted the ALS Association.  They do have loaner chairlifts from time to time that people donate but did not have any at the time I called and said to check back.  I waited as long as I could (my husband pushing me up the stairs) and then I had to get it.  It’s a shame this is not considered a necessity by insurance.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account