ALS News Today Forums Forums Boosting Our Voices ALS Awareness Month I wrote a song for ALS Awareness Month

• I wrote a song for ALS Awareness Month

Posted by creighton-rider on May 26, 2022 at 8:25 am

A few years ago, in the back seat of a Suburban rolling down the highway, some words popped into my head about my journey with ALS. They were lyrics dancing around in my brain, and I even heard a deep country voice singing it. I only got two or three verses figured out in the car, and when I got home I typed them out with my toes, and never finished the rest, as it slid further and further down my to-do list. About a month ago, my ‘music therapist ‘ (yeah, it’s a thing) asked if had any poetry that I would like to put to music. I said “no, but there’s a song I’d like to finish”. So she made me commit to a deadline. That lit a fire under my butt, and I finished the lyrics, dusted off my GarageBand skills, wrote the music, and coaxed my brother-in-law to perform it. Next, I learned how to make a lyrics video, and voilá, here it is. Maybe some of you pALS out there feel the same way…

https://youtu.be/iyJBe3Nu4Lg

nick-n replied 1 year, 9 months ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • len-jax

May 26, 2022 at 2:42 pm

Creighton,

Love it! Love it! I think you will be a contender for The Country Music Awards ceremony next year! Your music is a genre I call “Depressingly/Optimistic!” It is based on the acceptance of life as it is, and the realization that life is still good. You are now on my playlist. You nailed it with the lyrics and the warmth of your video! Thank you for making my day!

Len

• creighton-rider

May 26, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Thanks Len!  I love the music genre.

• steve-L

May 26, 2022 at 2:59 pm

Creighton,

I lost my dad at his age 89 three years ago. Fortunately for him it was a short passage…only three months from diagnosis until he was at rest.

I follow postings here nearly every day. Yours is one of the most inspiring I’ve seen in a long, long time. From your typing with your toes to writing this wonderful song, I’m amazed.

And I’m absolutely amazed by all who are afflicted with this terrible disease. You all are so much stronger people than I can ever hope to be.

Steve

• creighton-rider

May 27, 2022 at 8:22 am

Thank you Steve.  I’m sorry about your Dad.  It’s a terrible disease indeed.

• lisa-brown

May 26, 2022 at 3:14 pm

Creighton, you absolutely nailed our ALS story. Can I please repost on my facebook page?

• creighton-rider

May 27, 2022 at 1:55 pm

Thanks Lisa.  Feel free to share it!

• john-mccormack

May 26, 2022 at 3:23 pm

Beautiful. I’m crying. I’m glad you finished it. The video is inspiring for people like me just starting our journey. I can still play my guitar but can’t sing anymore so it hit hard on me.

• karenm

May 26, 2022 at 4:33 pm

This so beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I’m going to share it with my sister.

• ellen-garber

May 27, 2022 at 8:23 am

Great great song. Lost my husband 3 years ago to ALS, but I know he’d agree with you….figure out what means the most today. You nailed it!

• pamela-j-glover

May 27, 2022 at 1:06 pm

Thank you, Creighton and brother-in-law. It’s a great story, a great song, and yes the genre is aptly named. Plus its singable snd I can still croak it out with lots of unnatural pauses for deep breathing.

• pamela-j-glover

May 27, 2022 at 1:07 pm

Thank you, Creighton and brother-in-law. It’s a great story, a great song, and yes the genre is aptly named. Plus its singable snd I can still croak it out with lots of unnatural pauses for deep breathing.

• Amanda

May 30, 2022 at 11:10 pm

What a beautiful piece of music. I was holding back the tears although I’m not sure how I was able to do that. Thank you for sharing. I hope it’s ok that I also shared on my Facebook page too.

Thank you,
    Amanda

• Amanda

May 30, 2022 at 11:10 pm

What a beautiful piece of music. I was holding back the tears although I’m not sure how I was able to do that. Thank you for sharing. I hope it’s ok that I also shared on my Facebook page too.

Thank you,
    Amanda

• kathleen-b-katie

May 31, 2022 at 3:22 pm

AWESOME song—music, lyrics, message!  Totally agree with all other opinions also—THANK YOU THANK YOU for doing this for all of our community—a tribute to our caregivers & families also!  I am just about 2 years since diagnosis, yet can completely relate to every word & feeling expressed…
    I do hope it spreads far & wide — although I’m not on FB, I will share it on to family & friends—and check with our MI ALS organization to see if can be part of the upcoming ALS Advocacy Conference (June 14-16).

• lisa-bonahoom

May 31, 2022 at 5:33 pm

Thank you for this music!  You did nail it!

• nick-n

June 21, 2022 at 5:53 pm

Nailed it indeed, Creighton.  Like John I can still play guitar (barely) but can no longer sing.  I am roughly two years in.  I would be grateful and honored to be around in another 12.  Thank you for giving voice to what so many of us are feeling, and for the wonderful photos of what matters most.