Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Creighton Rider
      Participant

A few years ago, in the back seat of a Suburban rolling down the highway, some words popped into my head about my journey with ALS. They were lyrics dancing around in my brain, and I even heard a deep country voice singing it. I only got two or three verses figured out in the car, and when I got home I typed them out with my toes, and never finished the rest, as it slid further and further down my to-do list. About a month ago, my ‘music therapist ‘ (yeah, it’s a thing) asked if had any poetry that I would like to put to music. I said “no, but there’s a song I’d like to finish”. So she made me commit to a deadline. That lit a fire under my butt, and I finished the lyrics, dusted off my GarageBand skills, wrote the music, and coaxed my brother-in-law to perform it. Next, I learned how to make a lyrics video, and voilá, here it is. Maybe some of you pALS out there feel the same way…

Len Jax
      Participant

Creighton,

Love it! Love it! I think you will be a contender for The Country Music Awards ceremony next year! Your music is a genre I call “Depressingly/Optimistic!” It is based on the acceptance of life as it is, and the realization that life is still good. You are now on my playlist. You nailed it with the lyrics and the warmth of your video! Thank you for making my day!

Len

Steve L.
      Participant

Creighton,

I lost my dad at his age 89 three years ago. Fortunately for him it was a short passage…only three months from diagnosis until he was at rest.

I follow postings here nearly every day. Yours is one of the most inspiring I’ve seen in a long, long time. From your typing with your toes to writing this wonderful song, I’m amazed.

And I’m absolutely amazed by all who are afflicted with this terrible disease. You all are so much stronger people than I can ever hope to be.

Steve

Creighton Rider
        Participant

Thank you Steve.  I’m sorry about your Dad.  It’s a terrible disease indeed.

Lisa Brown
      Participant

Creighton, you absolutely nailed our ALS story. Can I please repost on my facebook page?

John McCormack
      Participant

Beautiful. I’m crying. I’m glad you finished it. The video is inspiring for people like me just starting our journey. I can still play my guitar but can’t sing anymore so it hit hard on me.

KarenM
      Participant

This so beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I’m going to share it with my sister.

Ellen Garber
      Participant

Great great song. Lost my husband 3 years ago to ALS, but I know he’d agree with you….figure out what means the most today. You nailed it!

Pamela J Glover
      Participant

Thank you, Creighton and brother-in-law. It’s a great story, a great song, and yes the genre is aptly named. Plus its singable snd I can still croak it out with lots of unnatural pauses for deep breathing.

Pamela J Glover
      Participant

Thank you, Creighton and brother-in-law. It’s a great story, a great song, and yes the genre is aptly named. Plus its singable snd I can still croak it out with lots of unnatural pauses for deep breathing.

Amanda
      Keymaster

What a beautiful piece of music. I was holding back the tears although I’m not sure how I was able to do that. Thank you for sharing. I hope it’s ok that I also shared on my Facebook page too.

Thank you,
      Amanda

Amanda
      Keymaster

What a beautiful piece of music. I was holding back the tears although I’m not sure how I was able to do that. Thank you for sharing. I hope it’s ok that I also shared on my Facebook page too.

Thank you,
      Amanda

Kathleen B (Katie)
      Participant

AWESOME song—music, lyrics, message!  Totally agree with all other opinions also—THANK YOU THANK YOU for doing this for all of our community—a tribute to our caregivers & families also!  I am just about 2 years since diagnosis, yet can completely relate to every word & feeling expressed…
      I do hope it spreads far & wide — although I’m not on FB, I will share it on to family & friends—and check with our MI ALS organization to see if can be part of the upcoming ALS Advocacy Conference (June 14-16).

Lisa Bonahoom
      Participant

Thank you for this music!  You did nail it!

Nick N
      Participant

Nailed it indeed, Creighton.  Like John I can still play guitar (barely) but can no longer sing.  I am roughly two years in.  I would be grateful and honored to be around in another 12.  Thank you for giving voice to what so many of us are feeling, and for the wonderful photos of what matters most.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account