ALS News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and ALS Oh my COVID vaccine

• Oh my COVID vaccine

Posted by Amanda on April 5, 2021 at 8:16 pm

Hey everyone!  I hope you had a wonderful and joyful Easter (for those of you that celebrate Easter)!  I got my second covid shot last week and it put me on my back!!! I felt achy for about 4 days, fever, headache, and exhausted! I am fully supportive of people getting the vaccine, but I have to admit that I see both sides of the argument.  My mom is not interested in the least. That worries me because she has COPD.  However, I respect that it is her choice to make.  Now that I had a reaction to the second dose I really doubt she will be getting the vaccine.

How about you? Have you gotten vaccinated?  Are you family members getting vaccinated? Did you have a reaction? How are you feeling now?

david-crellin replied 2 years, 8 months ago 12 Members · 27 Replies
  • 27 Replies
  • tim-burr

April 6, 2021 at 4:12 pm

We had both shots with NO reactions. We have asked our friends of all ages and health status about reactions, and there seems to be no common response. Our daughter-in-law had a reaction after the second shot, but our son had virtually nothing.

Tim

• jennifer-zink

May 16, 2021 at 2:00 pm

I haven’t gotten my shots yet, but I want to.

• astrid

April 6, 2021 at 4:18 pm

Hi  Amanda i will get my first Covid shot april 14!  my  family members still do not know when , only my 86 years old dad has been vaccinated and he did not had any site effects.

• fran-finney

April 6, 2021 at 4:22 pm

Both I an my son had mild reactions to our Pfizer vaccines (feverish, achey), and our reactions lasted 3 to 4 days – but it was so worth it. The reaction will not kill anyone, COVID could. And even if it does not kill you, contracting COVID, even a mild case,  can cause some serious and perhaps permanent issues.

I can understand a PALS choosing not to get vaccinated, but I do not believe that it is wise for any caregiver or family member or any other person close to a PALS to choose to not get vaccinated.

• Amanda

April 6, 2021 at 9:32 pm

I’m happy with my decision to get the COVID vaccine.  Not only am I protecting myself, but I’m trying to protect my mom too. I also work in the school system, and the thought of being a carrier or passing on the virus to someone more vulnerable is unthinkable to me. Even though I didn’t enjoy the side effects, like someone above said, I won’t die from the vaccine, but I could from COVID.

• maryconnolly

April 7, 2021 at 12:38 am

Both my husband (a pALS) and I (caregiver) get #2 Pfizer April 9. We’ve alerted our neighbors in case we need anything, but have basic provisions ready. At the worst it’s 24-48 hours of discomfort and we can skip a shower or two. Getting vaxxed means no interruption  in our participation in the Healey Platform clinical trial and Radicava infusions. It also means that after a year of isolation we can finally reconnect with family and friends who have not seen us for a year.

• marianne-opilla

April 7, 2021 at 8:20 am

I believe in vaccines. Maybe because I am a nurse and one of my friends worked developing vaccines for 30 years.   My husband and I completed Moderna in March.  He was very fatigued for about 4 days.  I had no reaction except arm soreness.  I call it the “get out of jail free” card.  Now my son is comfortable visiting from AZ next week!

• david-crellin

July 20, 2021 at 11:07 am

Hi Marianne, so glad you’re both vaccinated. I, my wife, my elder son are all double-vaccinated; my younger son about to have his second.

• Dagmar

April 7, 2021 at 12:31 pm

Amanda – – I’m sorry you had to weather through that reaction, but BRAVO to you for being fully vaccinated! Now, you have to use all those excellent counseling skills of yours to convince your mother to be vaccinated as well. At her age and with her health risks… getting COVID would be awful.

I get my 2nd jab this Friday – – whoo-hoo! If I get any reactions, I’ll know it’s just my immune system going through a dress rehearsal for defending me from the real virus. 🙂

• kathy-stitz

April 7, 2021 at 2:34 pm

I was vaccinated in January and February.   I just had chills for a little while after the second shot.  Some of my family members have been vaccinated and others have not.  Now I just have to deal with having ALS and the struggles and challenges that go along with it.

• maryconnolly

April 7, 2021 at 4:44 pm

And to you Kathy Stitz and Dagmar and all of you – dealing with ALS and its challenges are no small task for pALS or their caregivers. Blessings.

• kathy-stitz

April 7, 2021 at 5:21 pm

Thanks so much Mary.

• Amanda

April 9, 2021 at 8:54 am

I’m looking forward to when our area gains “herd immunity.”  Life has been forever changed because of COVID, and I know that ‘normal’ will look very different.  I am looking forward to seeing my friends and family that I haven’t seen since this all started.  My sister has also been fully vaccinated and she is coming to visit in June.

Kathy, I am glad you were able to get your vaccines early!!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 10, 2021 at 10:07 pm

Waiting to get in line for the Janssen vaccination. It is not a mRNA type vaccine, but a true vaccine based on the adenovirus with the COVID-19.  Not trusting the mRNA!@!

• maryconnolly

April 11, 2021 at 2:12 am

We had vax #2 on Friday. Sore arms and feeling a little tired and relieved. Get your vax-it’s better than being dead.

• Dagmar

April 12, 2021 at 12:08 pm

Well…………..I had my 2nd jab last Friday (Moderna) and… spent Saturday & Sunday with a host of reactions. Chills, fever, lethargy, loss of appetite, coughing plus random rashes. Then, they all just disappeared.

It’s a small price to pay to become fully immunized. I liken it to riding a big roller-coaster; the last big drop is scary, but once it’s over, you’re glad you did it 🙂 Let’s all do our part to help end the pandemic.

• kathy-stitz

April 12, 2021 at 12:39 pm

Glad to hear it, Dagmar.   I hope this pandemic is behind us soon.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    May 16, 2021 at 2:53 pm

I got the one shot Jannsen vaccine by Johnson & Johnson last week. Only symptom I had was a sore arm. Muscle tone was tight for the shot which made the pain worse. Thank spasticity for that.

• jennifer-zink

May 17, 2021 at 3:36 pm

I wonder if it be the same with me? I’m getting the other vaccine, the one with two shots. As soon as my doctor gets the vaccine in his office.

• kathy-stitz

May 17, 2021 at 3:53 pm

There are two vaccines that require two shots, Moderna and Pfizer.  For Moderna the shots are given 28 days apart, and for Pfizer the shots are given 21 days apart.

• jennifer-zink

May 17, 2021 at 4:42 pm

Thank you, Kathy, for the info!

• kathy-stitz

May 17, 2021 at 4:53 pm

You’re welcome Jennifer.   I hope you are able to get vaccinated soon!

• jennifer-zink

May 17, 2021 at 4:56 pm

Thanks … me too!

• david-crellin

July 20, 2021 at 10:48 am

I am double-vaccinated with Oxford/Astra-Zeneca vaccine. Slight fever and arm ache for a day first time; just a pain from the injection second time. They had to use the same arm – hardly any muscle left on the other one.

As I’ve posted elsewhere, as a teenager I nursed my Mum through ALS. She caught ‘flu from me and died a horrible death. So you may understand my reluctance to accept anyone refusing to be vaccinated against Covid.

The risk of anyone dying from an adverse reaction to a vaccine pales into insignificance compared with their risk of contracting and dying from Covid.

But some people believe conspiracy theories, and no amount of science or objective research will change them.

• victor-b-nakkache

July 20, 2021 at 3:30 pm

I can not believe some of you make such a big deal about the vaccine.
    As a prior physician I firmly believe in vaccines with all the pros and cons that everything we do in our lifes.
    Furthermore any of you that have a fairly fast progression of ALS,(like me)probably would agree that ALS is much more serious than worrying about the vaccine side effects.(in fact I care much more about any potential benefits from meds for this cruel disease than any side effects).
    Asa m matter of fact if most of ALS patients would think like me I am convinced that ALS cure would be find much faster.

• david-crellin

July 21, 2021 at 4:52 am

Hi Victor, presisely the point I was making. But as for ‘making a big deal’, I’m aware that the ALS community mirrors the wider community. I have come across one former carer warning about the alleged harms of Covid vaccines, suggesting it triggered ALS in one person, and posting a video of a ‘board registered medic’ (an osteopath!!) stating that Covid vaccines kill people.

My sister & her husband are practising doctors in the UK & working in our Covid hotspot with 750/100k infection rate. For them vaccine denial is a major issue.

• jennifer-zink

July 20, 2021 at 3:48 pm

I have long-term ALS and I’m getting the two-shot vaccine.