ALS News Today Forums Forums Caregivers and Family ​ Pain management and ALS

• Pain management and ALS

Posted by Robert Harrigan on June 9, 2021 at 4:11 pm

My wife Lisa was diagnosed with ALS 2 months ago. She has constant pain. We have ben using a lotion with CBD and she has ben taking CBD orally with minor relief. She takes 800mg Ibuprophen 2x/day a low dose of Baclofen. Wondering if anyone has had success vaping CBD/THC marijuana ? She cannot use the opioid derivatives. Thanks much for any thoughts on how to help her moderate the pain.   Rob H.

Mary replied 2 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Gideon

June 27, 2021 at 2:43 pm

Dear Robert
    I wife taking Baclofen.4x a day, Gabapentin (300mgx3)three time a day, CBN+THC+CBD ( CBN 150mg, CBD 150mg, THC 150mg)Help with pain & neurological.

• Romy H

December 8, 2021 at 4:28 pm

My twin had used edibles to curb her pain and improve her mood. This said, it is legal here in Washington State. I am assuming it is where you live as well. She was able to keep herself in her last year in much better spirits and thanked me alot for suggesting it. Nothing else helped her though. Vaping is hard on the lungs and I know ALS affects them so maybe edibles are a possible idea to avoid this wear on them?

• John Lopynski

December 9, 2021 at 4:31 pm

I have burning pain in my legs and it is worse when sleeping.  It got very bad so I had two epidural shots in my lumbar spine and that helped.  I take THC and CBD orally prior to bed as well as use CBD oil on the sides of my legs.  I have also started to use magnesium oil on my legs and elsewhere where there are no symptoms.  It may be helping as well.  Good luck and God bless.

• Nina

December 9, 2021 at 6:22 pm

I don’t have pain associated with my ALS but I do have a condition called trigeminal neuralgia and I have been reading about the use of ketamine to treat it. It’s supposed to be good for all neurological disorders. But it is a hallucinogen which scares me . Has anyone used it? Or even researched it?

• MICHAEL ADACKAPARA

December 10, 2021 at 2:11 pm

I was diagnosed with limb-onset ALS in 2018.  I have tried and continue to try several supplements, including CBD/THC.  So far I have not experienced much pain other than occasional muscle cramps.  Personally I think that a turmeric supplement and the cannabis products have helped me.

Cannabis: My oral dosage right now is 50 mg/day THC. I mix equal quantity of THC/CBD and gradually increased my dosage to 50 mg.  If you are not used to cannabis, too much THC could give you an anxiety attack.  I get a bit dizzy and disoriented.  Smoking or vaping is probably the most effective way.  I have a few joints that I have not tried.  I also have a rechargeable (via USB) battery operated vaping tool (mine is Alpine) with variable voltage to control the draw.  This is good for vaping live resin.  I have only used it once; so I cannot comment on its efficacy.  It may be a bit difficult to find live resin.

Turmeric:  I use Theracurmin manufactured by Integrative Therapeutics ($90 for 120 capsules).  (I think that Dr. Bedlack at Duke University is using this product in a clinical trial).  Even though no prescription is needed, if your doctor orders it, you get a substantial discount ($45?).  My daughter, who is a physician, orders it for me. This might minimize some of your wife’s aches and pains.   Always take it with a little black pepper to increase its uptake.

I also think that slow release magnesium (slo mag) has helped me with cramps.

• Mary

March 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Finally got my hubby referred to a pain management and palliative care clinic that will prescribe liquid marijuana as part of a pain management treatment plan.   Our als clinic prescribed opioids even after us telling them that he couldn’t use narcotics as he has bad reactions and it adversely affects his breathing.
    We are praying his appointment goes well tomorrow as he is in constant pain.   In our state the level of THC is limited, hopefully it will be enough.  He has also been prescribed dry needling and massage therapy.  Praying something works soon.