ALS News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and ALS Vaccine on the horizon

• Dagmar

December 14, 2020 at 3:47 pm

I for one, am looking forward to getting the vaccine. I trust the clinical trial process and the follow-up evaluation of the data. Look, there are already 10,000+ people walking around who had the injections as part of the study – – they are currently immune and have not reported dire side effects.

I just hope that there will be enough quality vaccine for all – – and nobody does anything during this period of inoculation to disrupt the system. I’m looking forward to being able to go out again.

• carolyn-barry

December 15, 2020 at 6:55 am

I definitely plan on getting the vaccine. I just hope that us pALS and our caregivers can be given it relatively soon.  I’m anxious to find out how and where we can get it, as I read that many different places will have it.  I too feel it will be safe, because of what has been stated so far, from those having had the vaccine already.

• john-wagner

December 15, 2020 at 2:14 pm

I definitely plan on receiving the vaccine, and hope that my wife (caregiver) will also.  Any short-lived discomfort from some the reported side effects appear to be minor compared to actually having the COVID-19 virus.

Fr. John

• chris-koch

December 15, 2020 at 3:03 pm

Both myself and husband plan on getting the vaccine ASAP. The fact that I have ALS and there is no cure and treatment options are limited and not always effective makes me more afraid for my life than getting a vaccine which may cause some discomfort but will allow me again to see family.

• paul-tavano

December 15, 2020 at 3:05 pm

I absolutely plan to get the vaccine. Time is not on our side when it comes to those of us with ALS. I want the opportunity to travel freely, gather with family and friends and do normal day to day things without the fear of Covid. I’m not sure where ALS will fall in the ranking of who will get the vaccine when but I will get it as soon as I’m eligible.

• maryconnolly

December 16, 2020 at 11:00 am

Absolutely the right decision for me, my pALS husband and our daughter who we’ve only seen twice(she lives out of state) since his diagnosis in Jan. We’re also encouraging our extended family and friends to get vaccinated as they are important hands-on support for both of us. ALS can be isolating enough and then COVID made it that much more so. And from what I know about side effects it is well tolerated. I’m trusting the science in this one and advice from family friend Jim Baker MD an immunologist and brilliant doc who studied under Dr Fauci—Baker writes extensively about Covid science at pandemicpondering.com something you might want to check out. So yes-after seeing my sister and niece suffer through Covid for months there’s no doubt about getting the vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna’s mRNA version).

• kathy-stitz

December 22, 2020 at 11:02 am

I plan to get the coronavirus vaccine but have already read about wealthy people in California, like CEO’s and celebrities, who are trying to pay large sums of money, as much as $25,000, to doctor’s offices and hospitals in order to try to get the vaccine first.

• Dagmar

December 22, 2020 at 11:22 am

Kathy – – there will always be rumors and misinformation from various media sources about the vaccine. Consider the source before you believe any “they say…” rumor. I always check out who exactly “they” are.

Besides, with the vaccinations in the world’s spotlight, no celebrity or CEO would want the fallout from negative PR that they pushed themselves forward in the line. And the same goes for the medical entity found to be accepting such a bribe. No… many eyes around the world are scrutinizing every shipment and injection.

Trust in the science and trust & support the process 🙂

• kathy-stitz

December 22, 2020 at 11:50 am

I believe that there are people who are trying to do this but will not be allowed to do so.  In every aspect of life, people are always trying to get away with doing things that are wrong or things that are scamming other people, etc.  This does not surprise me.

• Dagmar

December 22, 2020 at 11:52 am

Yup, Kathy…unfortunately there are those who will seriously think it can be done – – but again, I believe that there are too many eyes watching the process to let it happen.

• jonathan-l-maddock

December 22, 2020 at 2:09 pm

Yes.

Yes, yes yes. Yes.

Sincerely,

Yes

• cateprato

December 22, 2020 at 2:15 pm

Hell yes! My husband, too.

• asbjorn-jensen

December 22, 2020 at 2:23 pm

We take it as soon as possible.

• kerry-penn

December 22, 2020 at 3:38 pm

I plan to get the vaccine as soon as I can. My husband/caregiver plans to as well.

• chuck-kroeger

December 22, 2020 at 9:50 pm

My doctor suggested getting the vaccine indicating potential side effects would be less harmful to me than getting the covid.

• Michael L.

December 24, 2020 at 2:26 pm

My wife and I are getting it as soon as it is offered!

• bill1949

December 24, 2020 at 2:43 pm

Definitely yes for me.

• eric-kentor

December 24, 2020 at 6:20 pm

I am definitely up for the vaccine ASAP.  I have been unable to get any reliable information as to whether ALS patients will have high priority for receiving the vaccine.  Is there any good information out there?  Thanks all.

• gideon

December 24, 2020 at 6:33 pm

The COVID-19 mutated 1000 time .the new virus from UK is 70% more contagious , and today the new COVID-19 from Africa  is above 70% contagious. currently AstraZeneca and Pfizer conducting a new test with the current vaccine.

A new data show people with allergy symptoms should be more cautious to the vaccine.

From 200 million doses in 165 counties. 3000 had a reaction.

Me as caregiver for my wife who have ALS,

I will wait to see the reaction ,and how the vaccine is affected by new strength  COVID-19 .

• tom-hehir

December 25, 2020 at 3:52 pm

I definitely plan to get it as soon as possible and hope my partner can as well.

• dee-hagen

December 29, 2020 at 3:29 pm

Yes indeed! Steve will get it asap and I hope they’ll consider spouses/caregivers at the same time. Fingers crossed.

• kathy-stitz

January 4, 2021 at 11:06 am

I just got the coronavirus vaccine today, the Moderna one.  I go back for the second one in 28 days, on February 1st.  I was kind of afraid to get it, to be honest, but it went ok and didn’t hurt.  I encourage everyone to get the vaccine when they are eligible to get it.

• Dagmar

January 4, 2021 at 7:05 pm

Congratulations Kathy! That is good news. Hopefully, more members will be reporting in with the same good news 🙂

• kathy-stitz

January 5, 2021 at 10:11 am

My mother and I went together and both got the vaccine yesterday.   She works at a hospital and I was a volunteer at the same hospital before the coronavirus pandemic happened so we were both able to get it now.  I hope that our other members will be able to get the vaccine soon.  People just need to watch out for side effects and call their doctor if they have side effects that bother them or do not go away.  They give everyone a fact sheet that includes the possible side effects as well as a vaccination card where they write which shot you got ( Moderna or Pfizer), the date and location where you got it, and the date and time to go back for the second shot.